Social Media sites are a digital resource to connect with friends, family, co-workers, ect, often sharing and discussing personal information in a very public platform. Employers are now utilizing these platforms to find the right employee for the job. So as young adults start to transition into the professional world, it’s important to understand that everything you post online is now portraying your personal brand.
So how can you ensure a professional reputation online? Follow these guidelines and start practicing them today!
- Analyze your online presence. As you prepare for an interview, it’s important to go through your social media accounts to determine what information is suitable within the work environment and what is inappropriate. Although this is your personal page, your posts on social media may be the deciding factor between you and another candidate.
- Display a professional profile image. If a potential employer were to “Google” your name, more than likely your profile image will be displayed. The employer does not want to see one or even several photographs of your weekend escapades, so it’s important to display a professional image.
- Keep your interactions with “friends” clean. Steer clear of engaging in “Internet Fights”. Having a senseless argument via online damages your credibility as a potential employee. Although it’s acceptable to post your thoughts and ideas on social media platforms, in most cases it’s best to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
- Be courteous and respectful online. You never know who is on the other end of the computer monitor; it could be an influential person in the industry that is reading your posts. It’s important to be respectful and positive, because you never know what opportunities may come your way.
- Update your privacy settings. Once hired, this would be the time to update your profile settings to private. Ultimately you’re representing your company’s brand and any information obtained from your page affects the company’s reputation.
If you would like help with your social media marketing, contact the social media experts in Delaware at www.FamousWSIResults.com | 302-407-0430